Uncontested Divorce

Uncontested Divorce Va

If you are looking for a fast, uncomplicated and affordable divorce service in Virginia you have found the right place.  In my experience once the decision to divorce has been made both parties want it over and done with as soon as possible.  That’s where I come in.  I provide the fastest divorce service allowed by law and unlike document preparation services I do all the work for you and insure that it will be accepted by the Court.

Do I qualify for your Uncontested Divorce service?

You and your spouse can qualify for an uncontested divorce if the following requirements are met:

  • you or your spouse has been a resident of the State of Virginia for at least the last 6 months before we’ll file;
  • you and your spouse agree to a divorce (keep reading if one spouse does not agree); and
  • you have been separated for at least twelve months, or six months if you have an agreement and no minor children.

When Can I File for Divorce?

Many people are confused about when they can file for divorce in Virginia.

I try to explain this below, assuming we are filing on no-fault grounds.

How long have you and your spouse been separated?

  • Under 6 months?  You can’t file yet, but you can enter into a property settlement agreement (“PSA”) at any time.
  • Between 6 months and 12 months?  You can file if you have a PSA and no minor children.
  • 12 months or more?  You can file at any time.

One of the parties will also have to have been domiciled (lived in) Virginia for more than six months before filing as well.

Why do I need a Property Settlement Agreement (“PSA”) if we have no property?

Well you don’t if you are filing after the 12 months separation period.

If you are filing after 6 months of being separated, you need one because the Virginia General Assembly says you do.  It’s the law.

Never fear though, if you have no property or minor children, the property settlement agreement basically says whatever is in her name goes with her and whatever he has stays with him.

It takes 10-15 pages to say this, but I am a lawyer.  What did you expect?

How do I get started?

Click the Contact tab and drop me an e-mail or pick up the phone.

We will begin by discussing your situation and making sure that an uncontested divorce is the best way to proceed.

We will then have you fill out one of our intake sheets and have you sign an engagement agreement.  Once those are received along with our fee, we proceed immediately.

Do you accept payment plans?

We use a third party billing service that makes payment plans a piece of cake.  There is a $4.00 surcharge per billing statement.  Half of the fee is usually required upfront and your case will not be finalized before we have received our fee in full. 

How long will my divorce take?

Using this service, it can take as little as three weeks if the spouse signs and accepts delivery of the papers promptly.

Do you charge a fee for rush service?

No.  Simply put, every divorce is a rush for us. The necessary paperwork is usually completed within one business day.

Will I need to go to Court?

If you qualify for this service, no court hearings would be necessary.

I don’t live near Richmond, can you still help me?

If both parties are in agreement, under Virginia law your divorce can be filed in any jurisdiction in Virginia.

Most divorces will be filed in Henrico County as the Court is literally across the street from my office.

The Henrico County Circuit Court has five judges and just as importantly for our purposes, an efficient clerk’s office.

What if I don’t know where my spouse lives?

If you have lost touch with your spouse and cannot find them, all is not lost.

If you have some identifying information (such as a social security number) we are often able to find them.

If the spouse is still not found, a divorce can be obtained by filing an order of publication and having a notice published in the newspaper.

How do I get my name changed?

I will submit an Order for Name Change along with your Court papers so that when the Judge signs the Final Decree for Divorce, your name can be changed as well.  There is a nominal extra fee for this service.

Do you take credit cards?

We are able to process all major credit cards and accept payment plans.